Wednesday, July 13, 2005

New Top Level Domain Name

A new Top Level Domain (TLD) name has been approved for use. TLDs are the major groups of Internet domain names, for instance .com, .org, .net, etc. They are used to group generally similar web content. TLDs must be approved, meaning you can't just create your own.

The new TLD is .mobi. This TLD will be used for websites that are designed for mobile devices like PDAs and cell phones. Currently, there are few websites designed for the smaller screens of these devices. It is also difficult to locate the sites that support these devices as well. This new TLD will help that. Sites are expected to start using the .mobi TLD sometime in 2006.

Yes, I have Internet access on my cell phone. I would like to see more content designed for these devices. Of course, I would only view the content when I am not driving! Did you know that you are 4 times more likely to have an accident when you are using your cell phone while driving? Even with the cool new wireless headset I just bought!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:43 AM

    Speaking of headsets, since I wear two hearing aids I can not use a headset while driving. Are there speaker phone set-ups for cell phones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, many cell phones have speaker phone built in. Mine does and it works pretty well, but some times background noise can be a problem.

    ReplyDelete