Wednesday, September 24, 2003

Microsoft Takes Another Hit

It seems like Microsoft can't win lately. First, there's the monopoly thing, then all the security issues and of course the licensing that everyone seems to hate. If that's not enough, a group of 7 IT security researchers has published a paper claiming that the fact that Microsoft has an operating system monopoly is a critical national security risk.

Their premise is that because of the dominance of Windows and Office, a flaw might be discovered and if exploited would bring our whole cyberworld crashing down around us. In light of this potential disaster they are suggesting that businesses and governments factor in diversification of operating systems and applications. In addition to making Microsoft look like a potential terrorist nation, the authors claim that it is us purchasers that are dumb enough to let this happen and actually state that "the blame falls mostly on the buyers".

Some times propeller heads make me laugh but today my Microsoft stock went down $1.14! I think these guys have a plot. I wonder how many of them are ex-Novell, IBM, Sun, Unix people that simply have nothing better to do. Is there a risk? To some extent I would agree that this could be a problem. However, there are many other critical infrastructure components that could cause much more damage and much faster than by crashing my computer by breaking Outlook on me. My question to them is what specifically do they suggest other than not buying big bad Microsoft's products.

No comments:

Post a Comment